Sunday, October 4, 2009

Recipe of the Month

Homemade Apple Pie...
from scratch!
The set up...
I even broke my stupid peeler...
And I cannot find my corer.

The homemade pie from scratch was my biggest fear.
It was not perfect. I had to cut some pieces off around the edge and fill small misperfections in the middle and on the sides. I thought I had it big enough, but it turned out that what I thought was a pretty good circle, was actually an oval...oops.
After I patched up the pie crust, I put all of my perfectly cut apples, sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar, topped that with flour (not sure why), and then...
Added the top.
Again, I had to do some patching, but I think it turned out okay.
I even fancied it up by putting a cross pattern on the top.
And what is in the center?
Yep, an apple...an ode to the pie!

I was very VERY proud.

So proud, that I set up the self timer and took a self portrait with it!
Yes, I look huge in this picture. I am not pregnant, I just have an apron on and apparently forgot to suck in...

The finished product. I was supposed to sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, but I more like doused it. Still looks good...I think.

Taste test... to be completely honest, I don't like apple pie. Nor do I like apples in general. So I am waiting for Josh to finish charting for football and finish watching the San Diego game for him to taste it. I even bought ice cream! Wish me good luck!

And don't forgot about tomorrow...please PLEASE keep your fingers crossed that I don't get lost, that everyone is welcoming, and that it doesn't actually take an entire hour and twenty minutes to get there! Happy October!

5 comments:

ClickNCamera said...

You're back blogging...Yay! What a busy girl you have been. The pie looks yummy! Good job!

Unknown said...

You should take the apple pie to work! Maybe if they like it enough they will adjust your work hours so you don't have to drive during rush hour! :) Good Luck!

Mama Mouse said...

Wow. What a beautiful pie. You SHOULD be proud! You should send this post to Jody -- I think one of her "To Do" items is make a pie from scratch. You beat her to it.

Mama Mouse said...

But isn't it supposed to be "Cookie Month"?

Mr. Michel said...

Ummm when are you going to send it to Salina?? I'm so ready for a bite.