Sunday, May 8, 2011

Home Improvement

So Saturday morning, Josh wakes me up at 7:30 am and has decided that we need to re-do our front yard landscaping. Woo hoo. After a little convincing, I agreed...at least to price it out. What people don't understand is that when Josh and I go "price it out", we usually just buy. We are impatient that way.

Anyway, our house has front stairs up to the front door that the underside of the cement is exposed from the ground settling away from it. It looks tacky. Really tacky. But... not as tacky as the half dead spirea plant under our main windows. I can never tell which is actually spirea and which is just plain weeds.

BEFORE:




Our plan was to build a type of retaining wall around the stairs and the area under the main window, obviously removing the spirea. Day one was stinking exhausting and I thought seriously about calling someone professional to come finish it. I didn't do much, I wish I could say that I worked harder than Josh, but there just wasn't enough actual "to-do" for two sets of hands. Pretty much I critiqued the "level" of the stones, chose the pattern of where they would go, and transported stones from our stack on the driveway over to wherever Josh was working. Day two was better, I think. We had a significant amoung completed before the sun went down on Saturday and only needed to finish the last turn on Sunday. We had to make a last minute trip to Home Depot because we were about 20 stones short of completion. Anyway, phase one is complete of our front yard home improvement!


AFTER:





3 comments:

Mama Mouse said...

Wow... it looks awesome. Your hard work paid off.

Brandy said...

I second what Kendell said! Great job.

amy said...

that looks fabulous! you guys are awesome at home improvement projects.