Sunday, December 27, 2009

Recipe of the...uh, week?

So for Christmas from my amazing In-laws, I got a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer! I was super excited. As you know I am a VERY novice cook/baker. I am trying to improve and am hoping that this will continue to motivate me. Since my wise sister said, "If you get a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, you must do a Recipe of the Week!" - I am going to try. At least while I have some time before heading back to work.



These were found through Brown Eyed Baker's Blog
at DayDreamerDessert's blog.

W's
adapted from Cookies Unlimited
by Nick Malgieri

14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
2 cups all-purpose flour
Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

Set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Whip butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.

Add vanilla bean seeds or vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes until well combined. Add the egg white and continue to mix until smooth.

Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly beat in the flour just until it is absorbed. Remove the bowl from the mixer and finish mixing the dough with a spatchula or wooden spoon.

Either pipe dough using a pastry bag and star tube (Ateco #824) into W's, or use a cookie press and shape of your choice to press cookies directly onto a baking sheet. *See note below.

Bake cookies for about 15 minutes, or until they are firm and lightly golden.

Just before serving the cookies dust them with confectioners' sugar.

Store the cooled cookies between sheets of parchment paper in an air tight container.

Note: I initially tied the pastry bag method, but I was unable to get the dough through the tip, and I tried it with a slightly larger tip (#825).

These are also perfect for a little dipping in some melted chocolate.

**Review: I had Had HAD to use my Kitchen Aid Mixer since I just got it for Christmas. That being said, I am still not familiar with the settings so that could have affected the process. I didn't have a pastry bag or a star tube so I tried to use a baggie with the tip cut out. Did not work. The dough was much too thick. So I ended up rolling tiny little balls and placing them together in the little star shapes. It sucked. But, other than that they were pretty easy to make. The dough was D-Lish! :) The cookies...are okay. Nothing to write home about. Well, I guess that is what I am doing so...

Mine:
Hers:

PS Kendell, did you make it to the toilet in time? :)

3 comments:

Mama Mouse said...

yes, i made it. then spent $50 on cold medicine!!

Brandy said...

Im so jealous! I love your mixer. Very nice :)

ClickNCamera said...

Again I'm saying, I'm proud of you for having fun in the kitchen! This has always been one of my joys over the years. Oh, and thanks for the curry recipe! I'll let you know, but I'm thinking about trying it on your dad and tone down the hot spices for him, and add them to my serving (lol)! I have to do that sometimes and it works out fine. You now officially need a sign in your kitchen that says... "kiss the cook!" You deserve it! Hugs, Millie